Sunday, April 17, 2011

Andrew's Birth Story - Part 1


Our birth story is a little different from the average person since we had a scheduled C-Section.  Here is a little back story on what led us to the operating room.

My pregnancy was going great!  I was not having any complications and everything was measuring right on track.  Then Andrew grew!!  At our 36 week appointment my belly measured a little larger then it should be.  My Dr. was out so I saw a new Dr. that I had not met before.  I asked her what that meant and she said that it could be extra fluid or Andy's position so we scheduled a growth ultrasound for the next week.  Wouldn't you know it that the Seattle area would get hit with a huge snow storm and basically shut down everything.  Unfortunately, my Dr.'s office closed so we would have to reschedule for the following week. 

Finally on December 3rd, Paul and I headed to the Dr to find out how big Andy was.  I was disappointed because my Dr. was on vacation (which I knew going into it) and was seeing another Dr. who I had not met yet.  I was so nervous as to what they were going to find and it would have made me feel better for Dr. K to be there.  We got into the ultrasound room and they hooked me up to the monitor.  First and foremost, everything looked perfect and there was nothing wrong.  Then the tech started taking the measurements.  She wasn't saying a whole lot but then I saw the estimated weight flash on the screen.... 10lbs 3 oz!!  AND I STILL HAD 2 WEEKS TO GO!!!!  I asked the tech what that meant and she said she really couldn't tell us much and that the Dr would go over everything with us.

We had about an hour before our Dr appt so Paul and I went to lunch and I was a blubbering mess.  I had always said that my birth plan was to get the baby out the safest way possible for both of us.  But I never really wanted to have a C-Section - that is major surgery.  I was able to pull myself together to eat lunch and then we headed back to the Dr.  We met with the Dr and she measured my stomach which was measuring at 49cm.  For those that don't know, you typically measure within 2cms of how far along you are.  There is no way that a person should ever be 47 or 51 weeks pregnant but yet that is how my belly measured.  We talked about our options and the pros and cons of each.  One of the biggest concerns was obviously Andy's size.  The concern was if we tried to deliver he may get stuck which could result in an emergency c-section or them breaking bones of both of us to get him out.  Not exactly a pleasant thought.  They sent me for the 3 hour glucose test the next morning to make sure I had not developed gestational diabetes after my initial screening but that came back perfect.  We left the Dr office with a ton of information and went home to discuss. 

We had a family friend who delivered a 10lb baby and a friend who had just had a c-section so I called both when we got home to get their opinions.  I started leaning towards the scheduled C-Section and after talking with them I felt much better about it.  I wanted to discuss it with my Dr. as well so we scheduled an appointment with her the next week.  Like many of you know, I am notorious at making lists.  So the next week Paul and I set off the Dr with my page of questions and after discussing it with our Dr the decision was final!  We were scheduled to meet our little boy on Monday, December 13th - the day before his due date.

Here are some of my belly pictures!



No comments:

Post a Comment