Friday, April 15, 2011

April 9th, 2010: We're having a Baby!

Those were the words that came out of my mouth that Friday morning when I called Paul at work!  We had decided a couple months before that we were ready to add to our family so it wasn't a huge surprise, just happened a lot faster then we expected!

For a couple weeks before that I had been completely exhausted and would take a nap as soon as I got home.  I thought there was a chance but every test that week came up negative.  I tried to not be disappointed but I was.  I had been swimming at the gym and my hip had been bothering me so I made a dr appointment just to get it checked out.  I realized that if they needed to take x-rays at the dr we would need to know if I was pregnant or not.  So that Friday morning I took the test.  I figured that was going to be the longest 2 minutes of my life but it wasn't.  The test immediately came up positive!!!  I was so excited and in shock that I think I walked in circles for a minute and kept saying "Oh my gosh, oh my gosh!".  I am sure there were a few choice words said too but I won't repeat those.

My next thought was how I would tell Paul!  At first I was going to wait until he got home from work and do something really cute.  But then I got realistic and knew there was no way I could wait all day!  So I called him, my hands shaking, and he didn't answer!!  I left a message and told him to give me a call.  (And did I mention I was supposed to be on a conference call for work at this time!)

I called the Dr. next to find out what to do next.  And then Paul called back.  I just blurted out "Baby, we're going to have a baby!!".  I think he was in a bit of shock and could only talk for a minute.  I swear that was the longest day because I was so excited and couldn't tell anyone.  After Paul got home from work we talked about when to tell our families.  We were going to try and do it that night but couldn't get a hold of them.  So we decided to go celebrate with just the 2 of us....hot dogs at Costco!!  I remember as we were standing there I glanced over and saw this extremely pregnant woman whose shirt didn't even cover her belly.  I looked at Paul and said "Promise me that you'll tell me if my belly ever hangs out".  I figured there was no way that I would ever get that big and that she had to be carrying multiples.  Little did I know 9 months later I would be "that girl" whose shirts barely covered my belly and no I was not carrying multiples!

We decided to tell our families the next morning.  We had a family friend, Brian M's, 60th birthday party that day so we knew we had to go tell our parents first thing.  First we went to Mom & Dad A's,  Ray kept saying - "you guys are up early, what's going on?" Gail then asked "Do you have something to tell us?!?!"  Paul and I just sat there looking back and forth and finally I nodded and then I think she burst into tears.  Lots of hugs and then we were off to tell my parents.  We got to my parents house and we sitting there chatting when I asked what they were doing around Dec. 15th.  My mom proceeded to tell me she didn't know what she was doing later that day and asked what we were up to.  I said "Oh well, we're going to have a baby!"  Again tears flowed and lots of hugs. 

I called Erin from my parents house phone and she didn't answer so I called from my cell phone.  She answered and sounded so irritated!  I asked what Finn was doing and she said playing on the floor.  I said "Does he want to talk to his cousin?"  Very confused and irritated she says 'What?, what cousin?'  I said "the one that he will have in December."  She was confused for a minute and then got so excited!  I think she sent me multiple texts throughout the rest of the day that said "You're having a BABY!" and another one that said "Chinese gender predictor says BOY!"

We then headed to Brian's birthday at our friend's Scott and Erica's house.  After a while, and several pokes from Gail, Paul and I decided we would announce it.  Chris and Christina were sitting in the living room so I said "Hey Chris, do you and Christina want to be an aunt and uncle?"  It only took a minute for everyone to figure it out and again lots of hugs and tears.

Most people wait until 12 weeks to tell people but we couldn't wait.  We called the rest of our family and a couple more really close friends to share the news.  We are so lucky because we have so many people who love us and were so excited for us.  We knew that the next 9 months were going to be a whirlwind but we were so ready to start on this journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment